AARP offering free tax filing help
AARP Foundation Tax Aide volunteers will be on hand starting Monday, Feb. 8, to offer free tax assistance at the Stephenville Senior Citizen Center, 164 E. College St.
Assistance will be available 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Mondays and Wednesdays from Feb. 8 through April 7, by appointment only.
The program is open to taxpayers of all ages and AARP membership is not required.
Those scheduling appointments are asked to make sure they have all tax paperwork gathered and with them when they arrive at their scheduled time. They are also asked to arrive at least 15 minutes early to undergo COVID-19 screening and fill out advance paperwork.
Present should be the individual filing, their spouse and/or caregiver. It is asked that children not attend the appointment.
Those filing are asked to bring the following applicable documentation:
• Your own pen and face covering. Masks are required.
• Photo identification and/or Social Security cards for you and any dependents.
• A copy of last year's tax return, if available.
• Health care documents such as a 1095-A or 1095-B
• Brokerage statements for sales of stocks and/or bonds
• Checking and/or savings account information to set up direct deposit of any refunds.
• Income documents such as W2s, 1099s, Social Security income, etc.
• Documentation of charitable cash donations exceeding $300
Volunteers are IRS trained, however, they cannot help with certain types of filing such as farms, rental properties, married/filing separately, and some others. Individuals filing these types of returns will be advised to seek paid assistance.
For more information and to schedule an appointment, call (682) 231-3670. Appointments are limited and in high demand, if you are unable to make your assigned time, please call to cancel or reschedule so that someone else may have that time slot.
For more information, visit www.aarp.org/aarp-foundation/