A plea deal set to take place in the 266th Judicial District Court Monday for a woman charged with intoxication assault was postponed after she reportedly tried to commit suicide.

Katrina Winnie, an Erath County resident, was expected to plead guilty in exchange for 10 years in prison for hitting a bicyclist riding in the Firecracker 100 last year. Winnie was reportedly intoxicated at the time.

"She was scheduled for a court appearance this morning and she didn't show," District Attorney Jason Cashon said Monday. "It was reported that she was in critical condition at the hospital."

Winnie was recently arrested again for driving while intoxicated in Hearne.

A call to her attorney, Garry Lewellen, was not returned.

Cashon said the case will proceed when Winnie's health issues are resolved.

The postponement was just another bump in the long road to recovery for Terry Woods who almost died when Winnie plowed into her with a Dodge Ram pickup while she rode down Highway 6 in Dublin during the 2010 Firecracker 100 bike race.

Woods, 54, her husband, Ron, and daughter, Tara, were in Stephenville Monday to attend the hearing. Terry had planned to read a victim's impact statement in court, and was prepared to face the woman who nearly killed her for the first time since that fateful day.

But closure will have to wait.

Terry and her family left the courthouse Monday without facing Winnie, but will come back to Stephenville when the hearing is reset.

Instead, the trio came to the office of the Empire-Tribune where they talked about the accident, recovery process and their feelings about the case.

The accident

Terry was training for her first triathlon, the Iron Man Kentucky, when she entered six bicycle races to build stamina. One of those races was the Firecracker 100, sponsored by the Stephenville Kiwanis Club.

She had already completed about 60 miles - and was striving to reach 100 - when Winnie hit her from behind about 70 mph. Witnesses told Terry that the impact sent her flying 60 feet into the air. Winnie hit Terry so hard it actually left a dent in the truck's grill guard.

"I don't remember anything about being hit," Terry said. "I remember waking up on the ground and asking what happened."

The pain was intense.

"It hurt to breathe," she said. "I had to take very shallow breaths."

Several people stopped to help and used Terry's cell phone to try and reach her husband, Ron, who was on a bike ride in Weatherford, where the couple lives. When they couldn't reach him, a neighbor was contacted and told about the accident.

Terry was airlifted to Texas Health Harris Methodist Fort Worth.

When Ron arrived home, the neighbor told him about the accident.

Ron immediately called the hospital.

"All they could tell me was that she was alive," Ron said.

The accident left Terry with serious injuries including several crushed vertebrae, crushed eye socket, broken arm and hip and extensive bruising.

Terry had three surgeries, one that left her with two titanium rods and 16 screws from her shoulder blades to her hips. She spent a month in the hospital and is still in physical therapy trying to regain her strength and manage ongoing pain.

She still takes pain medication, and was unable to return to work as a physical education teacher.

Despite the difficult year, Terry and her family understand just how lucky she is to be alive.

"I am so grateful to be here - and to have had so much support," Terry said. "My family and so many people in Erath County have been wonderful."

Moving forward

Physical therapy and daily exercise help Terry manage the ongoing pain.

"I go to the gym every morning, walk a lot and swim," she said. "I'm just hopeful the pain will go away."

The days of playing volleyball in the back yard with her girls and their friends are over, at least for now. And perhaps more painful was the fact that she couldn't help either of her daughters move after they graduated from college.

And although the outward scars are gone, those on the inside are evident when the family recalls just how close they came to the unthinkable.

"My mom is a walking miracle," Tara said. "I don't know anyone who is more passionate about life than she is, and I believe that is why she survived."

For now, the family is still counting their blessings as Terry struggles to fully recover.

They say when Winnie makes it back to court, they will be there as well, fighting to keep a troubled woman from hurting anyone else.

"We just want her off the streets," Terry said.