Three Stephenville teens have been charged with attempted murder following a shooting Friday afternoon on Vanderbilt Street.

Authorities say it was a dispute between two groups of teenagers that led to the shooting, which sent three other teens to Harris Methodist Erath County Hospital. They were treated for non-life threatening injuries and released.

The group including the three teens who were arrested, was in a residence located at 852 Vanderbilt, while the other group, which included four teens, was in a residence on McCart Street.

“Apparently, the two groups had been having some type of argument over the phone,” Stephenville Police Chief Roy Halsell said, although it is not clear what that argument was about.

The four teens on McCart apparently walked over to the house on Vanderbilt, where two male juveniles, ages 15 and 16, and Monica Little, a 17-year-old female, was standing on the porch.

“When they saw the group walk up, the three suspects ran inside the house,” Halsell said.

One of the males then allegedly opened a front bedroom window and fired a single-shot from a 20-gauge shotgun at the group, Lieutenant Don Miller said.

“The shot peppered three of the teens,” Miller said.

The victims fled the scene, ran back to the house on McCart and called authorities.

When officers arrived at the scene of the shooting, they found Little and one of the juveniles still inside the home. They communicated with the teens by telephone and convinced them to surrender. The other male - the one police say they believe fired the shot — fled the scene and was later found “wandering around Stephenville” about 7:30 p.m. Friday night, Miller said.

The shotgun was recovered inside the home by authorities.

Halsell said he could not remember the last time - if ever — there was a shooting like this in Stephenville, but said he was proud of the way officers responded.

“Officers responded to the scene immediately, and were able to make contact with the suspects very quickly and convince them to surrender,” Halsell said.

The two male juveniles are being detained and will be sent to a juvenile detention facility, Halsell said.

Little was arrested and taken to the Erath County Jail, where she is being held on a $100,000 bond.

Sara Vanden Berge covers courts, law enforcement, and business and political issues for the Empire-Tribune. She can be reached at Her work number is 968-2379, ext. 240.