Two individuals were arrested early Sunday morning as a result of two separate but related automobile accidents.

Leonardo Briseno, 24, was booked into the Erath County Jail Sunday and is charged with driving while intoxicated and evading arrest with a vehicle after a traffic stop led to a high-speed chase through the city and ended in a major accident on CR 387.

In addition, Kathryn Camille Mavis, 22, was arrested for allegedly driving while intoxicated following an automobile accident involving a county fire truck. An Erath County Volunteer Fire Rescue (ECVFR) truck was hit by Mavis as it was responding to the accident on CR 387.

According to Capt. Jason King with the Stephenville Police Department, Sgt. James Gresham spotted a black Ford Mustang driven by Briseno at the intersection of Washington and Dale Streets just after 4 a.m. Gresham reported that the vehicle came to a screeching stop about 150 feet from the intersection, despite the fact that the traffic light was green. A short time later, the vehicle took off with its tires squealing.

While observing the vehicle and Briseno’s erratic behavior, Gresham allegedly witnessed the driver and a female passenger, Roxana Noriega, 24, engaging in a violent altercation.

The officer pulled in behind the Mustang and signaled for the vehicle to stop in the 2600 block of W. Washington. Gresham reported as he was exiting his patrol car, Briseno took off.

King said Gresham got back into his car and a pursuit began and continued beyond the city limits. Briseno turned north on Water Tower Road, lost control of his vehicle, hit a bar ditch and narrowly avoided colliding with the police cruiser. Gresham paused to avoid the collision.

King said Briseno continued up Water Tower Road and attempted to turn onto CR 387.

As the officer caught up with the fleeing motorist at the second entrance to the Cat Tail Creek Mobile Home Park, he spotted a looming cloud of dust and the Mustang’s bumper in the roadway.

In attempting to escape, Briseno had collided with a parked, unoccupied Chevrolet pickup and flipped his Mustang. The pickup then rolled on top of the car.

While Briseno escaped the wreckage, Noriega was penned in the vehicle and was rescued after a “lengthy extrication” by emergency personnel with ECVFR. She was transported to John Peter Smith Hospital in Ft. Worth by an air ambulance. She has reportedly been released from the hospital after being treated for minor injuries. King said Noriega was not arrested or issued a citation as a result of the accident.

If convicted, Briseno faces 180 days to two years behind bars and a maximum fine of $10,000 for evading arrest, a state jail felony, and up to 180 days in jail and a maximum fine of $2,000. He was released from the Erath County Jail Monday after posting a combined bond of $6,500.

King said Mavis was arrested after allegedly broadsiding an ECVFR fire truck. The fire truck was at the intersection of Graham Street and the South Loop, traveling behind another emergency vehicle en route to CR 387. Mavis was at the same intersection in a silver Chevrolet pickup on South Graham facing north and yielded right of way to the first emergency vehicle. As the fire truck attempted to turn onto the South Loop, the collision occurred.

A passenger traveling with Mavis, Joshua Shane Wilson, 32, was taken into custody for public intoxication, taken to the emergency room for evaluation, issued a citation and released.

Mavis was also taken to the hospital after complaining of a possible injury and later arrested for driving while intoxicated. If convicted, Mavis faces up to 180 days in jail and a maximum fine of $2,000 for driving while intoxicated. She was released from jail Sunday after posting a $1,000 bond.

No firefighters or emergency personnel were injured as a result of either accident.