One individual was transported by air ambulance to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth after an accident that occurred following a high-speed pursuit that began in the city limits sometime after 3 a.m. Sunday.

While the details of the chase are unclear at this time, police officers were heard over scanners saying the pursuit had reached at least 80 mph traveling down Washington St. toward Dublin.

Although attempts to reach the Stephenville Police Department for details were unsuccessful, it is believed the chase began when an officer attempted to stop a vehicle, which was being driven by a suspected drunk driver. 

According to Chief Kenneth Howell with Erath County Volunteer Fire Rescue (ECVFR), firefighters and emergency personnel were called to the scene of the accident involving a black, late model Ford Mustang, and a white Chevrolet Pickup, at the entrance of Cat Tail Creek, on CR 387, off of Water Tower Road. The Mustang was reportedly the same vehicle being pursued by a Stephenville Police Officer.

Howell said the driver of the Mustang, whose identity was not known as of press time, lost control of the vehicle when attempting to make a turn. The car flipped onto its roof and collided with the parked, unoccupied Chevy pickup.  The pick up then rolled on top of the Mustang.

Howell said when crews responded to the scene, there was a female occupant, whose identity is also unknown at this time, trapped inside of the car.  The only other individual involved in the accident, the male driver, was already outside of the Mustang and did not require medical transport.

Howell said after a “lengthy extrication” the female was removed from the vehicle. He said that responders took one of the department’s winch fire trucks to remove the pickup from the top of the Mustang and finally free the penned passenger, who was then transported by air ambulance.

In a separate but related accident, an ECVFR fire truck also fell victim to a suspected drunk driver while leaving the city headed to the accident on CR 387. While little information was available as of press time, sources say no injuries were reported in the second accident.

Both accidents reportedly led to arrests.