The Erath County Historical Commission has started a project to check the condition of all historical markers in the county. There are 97 markers in the county, many which date back to the 1960s, and may show deterioration due to weather and other factors.
Anyone who has markers in their area is urged to help the commission and report any medallion that appears to need restoration.
The Texas Historical Commission has issued special instructions on restoring markers to their original brilliance and preserving them for future generations. Attached is a list of the twelve oldest markers and special attention is being paid to these historic sites.
These are the 12 oldest historical markers in Erath County:
1936 - Centennial Marker for William H. Pate
1963 - Erath County Courthouse
1967 - Berry Cottage
1969 - Thurber
1971 - Public Well in Bluff Dal
1972 - Round Grove Baptist Church
1972 - Trinity Episcopal Church, Dublin
1972 - Early Commercial Building, Dublin
1975 - Community of Huckabay
1977 - Stephenville Church of 1900, Museum
1976 - Daniel and Mary Anna Thornton, Hannibal
1977 - Crow Opera House
1979 - Duffau Baptist Church