A 22-year-old Tarleton State University student was found dead Wednesday morning inside her home in Erath County.

Erath County Sheriff’s deputies were called to the home of Jacey Smathers after receiving a call about a welfare concern, according to Chief Deputy Heath Crossland.

“Her boyfriend couldn’t reach her and called some friends to go check on her,” Crossland said. “When she didn’t answer the door, the friends called us.”

Crossland said when deputies arrived on scene they could smell gas.

They entered the home after obtaining a warrant and found Smathers unresponsive in her bed.

“There are no signs of foul play,” Crossland said. “The speculation at this point is that it was carbon monoxide poisoning.”

Crossland went on to warn others that if they use gas inside their home to get a carbon monoxide detector.

Smathers, of Llano, was a senior nursing student at Tarleton, according to university officials.