With the school year winding down, the state 4-A baseball playoffs are just warming up and the Yellow Jackets find themselves in the second round facing the Venus Bulldogs. The E-T has your five facts to know about the upcoming three-game series between the two teams.
1. Venus finished the season as the 7-4A district champions thanks to an 11-1 record in district play. Overall, they finished with a 12-2 record throughout the entire season. The Bulldogs advanced to the area round thanks to a 1-0 bi-district win against Springtown.
2. Both teams are coming off rain-shortened series in the bi-district round and it could play a factor in this one as well. Thereís a 50 percent chance of rain for game one and two Friday in Granbury. There is also a considerable chance of rain for Saturday's game in Graford.
3. Stephenville ace Maddux Conger returned to the mound last weekend for the first time in several weeks due to injury - and reached the double digit mark in strikeouts. The Jackets will need him and the rest of the rotation to pitch well to advance to the next round. Venus has several pitchers on its staff for Stephenville to be wary of, including reigning first team all-district pitcher Hayden Stanford and reigning district 7-4A Utility Player of the Year Kelby Storm.
4. The Jackets are only 2-5 over the last seven games, which includes district and playoff contests. Thatís compared to an 11 straight district and playoff win streak that Venus is currently riding.
5. The winner of the series will play either Graham or Decatur in the third round of the Region 1 4-A state baseball playoffs.