The fire that killed 13-year-old Jesse Nance Monday is suspected to have started on the front porch of the family's home, according to Erath County Fire Marshal Steve Cole.

"We suspect the fire was started by a heat lamp that was used to keep the dog warm," Cole said Wednesday. "We know the fire started on the porch, but we may never have a definitive origin on this fire. We may never know exactly how it started."

The fire started about 2 a.m. and spread rapidly through the two-story structure. Nance died after he was unable to escape.    

His mother Lisa Bain and her husband Les Bain, both 46, were also injured in the fire and taken by air ambulance to Parkland Hospital in Fort Worth. Lisa is reportedly in a medically induced coma, but listed in stable condition in the burn unit. Les has reportedly checked himself out of the hospital.

Nance was a student at Santo Secondary Campus and the school, along with residents in the community, are remembering him this week. School officials said students were visibly shaken and sad, but leaning on one another for support.