Former Stephenville Fire Marshal Gary Nabors will face the justice system this week.

Nabors, 53, waived his right to a jury trial and will put his fate in the hands of District Judge Donald Jones, according to District Attorney Jason Cashon.

The bench trial is expected to begin at 9 a.m. Thursday in the 266th Judicial District Court.

Nabors faces four counts of online solicitation of a minor under 17 years old, a third-degree felony.

Nabors, who hired Stephenville attorney Robert Glasgow to represent him, was arrested in October 2009 in connection with an undercover sting that netted several suspects accused of soliciting minors online. He was later released from jail after posting a $50,000 bond.

The weeks-long investigation came together on Oct. 15, 2009 when Texas Ranger Danny Briley reportedly entered Nabors' city office and found him engaged in an online conversation with a law enforcement official posing as a 12-year-old girl.

Investigator Anthony Yocham with the Somervell County Sheriff's Office, posing as the girl, said sexual conduct was discussed during the first online conversation he had with Nabors, according to the arrest affidavit.

The affidavit also states photos, which were not sexual in nature, were exchanged between the two. Yocham said the two began to "converse in more graphic sexual content" over a period of several days.

Nabors was initially indicted in May 2010 on a single offense, but a grand jury handed down additional indictments in August 2011.

The charges against him stem from the undercover investigation and focus on "different dates of conduct," Cashon said following the 2011 indictments.

Nabor's city-issued cell phone and office computer were seized at the time of his arrest.

In addition to working for the city since 1979 and serving as the city's fire marshal since 1986, Nabors was the second vice president of the Texas Fire Marshal's Association at the time of his arrest. He became a common face in schools and was one of the department's fire clowns.

Following his arrest, city officials placed Nabors on administrative leave, and he was later replaced as fire marshal.