Editor's Note: This the twelfth in a series of weekly articles on individuals, who made positive contributions to Stephenville, the Cross Timbers area and/or the State of Texas. Many other noteworthy individuals, other than those in this series, have made their “mark” in this area. Perhaps some of these persons can be included in future stories.
By STUART CHILTON
Today's featured individual was born in Iredell (Bosque County) on Aug. 20, 1899.
Before moving to Stephenville in 1926, he had completed his education at Iredell High School, served in the U.S. Army in World War I, pursued additional education at Southwest Texas State Teachers College (SWSTC) at San Marcos, the University of Texas in Austin and the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston.
He graduated from medical school in 1925, and then interned for a year at Jeff Davis Hospital in Houston.
On Nov. 1, 1926, he married the former Ellen Willard of Giddings. She was a registered nurse. The couple met in Galveston, while he was in medical school. Two children were born to their marriage - a son, who also became a medical doctor; and a daughter.
In the summer of 1927, this young medical doctor got construction under way on the first wing of the Stephenville Hospital. This wing was situated in the same location as the present Harris Methodist Erath County Hospital. Other additions were completed in the 1930s, the mid-1940s and in the early 1970s. Harris Methodist bought the hospital in 1981.
This person was most active in various organizations in Stephenville, the state and the nation. He was a member of the Stephenville Chamber of Commerce, the West Texas Chamber of Commerce, the United States Chamber of Commerce, a trustee of the Boys Scouts of America Comanche Trail Council, recipient of the Boy Scouts Silver Beaver Award, member of the American College of Surgery, member of the International College of Surgery, the Texas Medical Association, the American Medical Association, a Scottish Rite Mason and he maintained memberships in many other organizations. He was a devoted backer of Tarleton State University.
A Name to Remember - Dr. J. C. Terrell Sr.