Hurrah for Morgan Mill!
Continuing with the family histories found in Gene Williams’ Hurrah for Morgan Mill, the Dr. T. M. Greenwood family is next. This account appears in the Erath County History written by Rex A. Greenwood. Thomas Martin Greenwood (1863-1938) and Hattie A. Cook (1863-1942) were married April 24, 1887. They had nine children. Dr. Greenwood graduated from now Emory University in Georgia and moved to Oklahoma in 1887.
In 1901, the family moved to Bluff Dale where he established a medical practice. In 1094, he bought a large farm in the Fairview Community which was east and north of Morgan Mill.
There are several descendants of the Greenwood family living in Bluff Dale and Morgan Mill.
Clement Hancock (1841-1899) was born in Tennessee and moved to Howe, Texas, with his father in 1860. He married Martha Meyers, his step-sister in 1860. He enlisted in the Confederate Army, Company B, which was created in Jack County, Texas. He moved his family to Morgan Mill in 1874 and farmed on the Bluff Dale road. They had ten children. The last four were born in Morgan Mill.
Jefferson Blufford (Blufe) Hancock (1845-1923) married Mary E. (Mollie) Haile (1846-1924). Blufe entered the Civil War in the early part of 1862. He joined along with his brother, Tobe Hancock, the Texas Sharpshooters, Co. D, 1st Battalion, 9th Brigade. They served in Louisiana and Mississippi. Blufe and Tobe’s company surrendered near Bryan, Texas, in May, 1865. Blufe moved to Morgan Mill in 1874 and became a prominent business man. He owned a large general mercantile store and a charter member of the Morgan Mill Masonic Lodge. Blufe and Mollie were the parents of seven children.
Joseph Marion (Tobe) Hancock (1843-1916) with his family settled in Morgan Mill in 1875. He bought 175 acres of land from his brother Clem and continued to buy land until he eventually owned about 1700 acres all being about two miles east of MM on the Bluff Dale Road. He built a two-story log house and the writer of the family history recalls that nine children were living at home in this log house in 1896. Tobe married first, Nancy C Haile (1842-1885). They were parents of six children. Tobe’s second marriage was to Mrs. Oma Spelling and they had seven children. Members of the Hancock family remember that at one time every farm on the Bluff Dale Road for about four miles from Morgan Mill was owned by a Hancock or a relative of a Hancock. A picture of the Hancock brothers from about 1880 is in the MM Community Center. More to come.
Remember Community Dinner is Thursday, Jan. 18, at 6:30. There will be musical entertainment and the best home cooking around. Come and enjoy with your neighbors.