A traveling exhibit featuring historical artifacts from Tarleton State University’s 100 years as founding member of The Texas A&M University System is open for public viewing now through November at several community and university venues.
An expanded display featuring memorabilia and archival items is on view now through the end of October in the Carriage House at the Stephenville Historical House Museum.
A second centennial display will be part of the museum’s annual benefit—Sundown on the Square—set from 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 14, in downtown Stephenville. This free, public display will be located at The Cellar, 230 W. College Street.
The display can be seen the following Thursday, Oct. 19, at the museum’s John Tarleton Ranch House in conjunction with a Stephenville Chamber of Commerce networking mixer from 5-6 p.m.
Photographs from the collection are on display through mid-May at Tarleton’s academic center in the Hickman Building at 6777 Camp Bowie Blvd. in Fort Worth. The exhibit will return in August and remain through mid-September.
These photographs will travel to Tarleton’s W.K. Gordon Center for Industrial History of Texas in June where they will stay until moving to the Barry B. Thompson Student Center on the university’s Stephenville campus in September.
The Dick Smith Library on Tarleton’s Stephenville campus will feature the photographs in November.
The centennial exhibit honors the people and events responsible for linking Tarleton’s struggling liberal arts college with Texas A&M University. The union of John Tarleton Agriculture College and Texas A&M University followed a showing of public support that included raising money to create a college farm. The legislature approved the connection in February 1917. The first classes began in September.
Today, Tarleton State University is one of the fastest growing universities in the country with more than 90 degree programs. The university offers classes online, at its Stephenville campus and at academic centers in Fort Worth, Waco and Midlothian.