The Stephenville Historical House Museum received a donation from State Senator Craig Estes of a seedling from the oldest living pecan tree in Texas.
The original LaBahia Pecan Tree is located at the LaBahia ferry crossing at the Washington-on-the-Brazos State Historic Site and is believed to have been there when Sam Houston crossed the ferry to declare Texas’ Independence on March 2, 1836.
“The donated seedling was specially harvested and prepared by the Horticulture Science Department at Texas A&M University,” states a press release from the museum. “Senator Estes delivered the tree to Erath County Judge Tab Thompson who in turn contacted the museum of its arrival.”
The seedling was planted near the Wolf Nursery sign toward the Bosque River on the museum grounds. Equipment for the prep work was donated by John Hogan of Hogan Land Works.
Present for the planting ceremony were Judge Tab Thompson, John Hogan and his fiance Alyssa Stroud, Dana Adams, Russell Pfau, Margo Guisenhoff, Dianne Wilson and Sherri Knight.
“A metal plaque was supplied by the Washington-on-the-Brazos State Park Association so that museum visitors will know the story of the LaBahia Pecan Tree,” states the release.