The Erath County Historical Commission has learned that Mount Olive Cemetery has been approved for a historical marker from the Texas Historical Commission.
The cemetery located on South College Farm Road was established in 1922 when graves of African Americans were relocated from the West End Cemetery in Stephenville.
It is believed that there is a total of 265 identifiable graves in Mount Olive but there is no record for the number of graves that were relocated. The cemetery remains an active burial ground with several entombments a year.
Families who have relatives buried at Mount Olive think of it as an honorable resting place for their ancestors and not as one that was born of segregation.