The Granbury Living Christmas Cards is an outdoor, interactive family event on the historic town square in Granbury that will take place on Friday and Saturday, Dec. 9-10.
The event is Lakeside Baptist Church’s free gift to the community, presented in partnership with the city of Granbury and Hood County. The festivities last all day long and into the night, culminating with the “super-sized” Christmas cards coming to life between 6:30 and 8:45 p.m.
These cards are huge with a combined painted-surface area of over 3,000 square feet. Each card - hand-painted by nationally-renowned artist James Spurlock - depicts a different thematic scene from Christmas including: A Granbury Winter Wonderland, Silent Night and The Nativity.
The cards may be viewed and enjoyed throughout the day on Saturday, but the real magic happens on Friday and Saturday nights, beginning at 6:30 PM.
As you visit each Granbury Living Christmas Card, it will come to life with singers, actors, and dancers who seem to have stepped right out of the card as they interact with the audience.
These living cards provide a one-of-a-kind experience, which one patron summed up eloquently: “I feel like I’m in a Hallmark movie!”
The cherry on top is a musical grand finale that includes everyone — even you.
Saturday daytime activities for the kids between 2 and 5 p.m. include:
• Kids Christmas Village with free crafts, a Nativity Petting Zoo and more.
• The Santa House, an interactive workshop especially set up by Santa and Mrs. Claus inside the gazebo on the square.
• Hot chocolate with marshmallows piping hot for you and the little ones
• Canned Good Giving Tree – ‘Tis the season to give back, and here’s your chance. This Christmas tree will be “decorated” with hundreds of canned goods and will help local food pantries share with those in need. Canned donations and dry goods accepted
• For a full schedule of times and activities, visit www.granburychristmas.com
• For up-to-the-minute info and photos, go to www.facebook.com/granburychristmas
• For detailed info on Granbury’s food, travel, and lodging, check out www.visitgranbury.com
• For more info on Lakeside Baptist Church, go to www.lakesidebc.org.